And on today’s edition of things you definitely never thought about before you were pregnant; the best postpartum underwear! That’s right, you won’t be sliding right back into your pre-pregnancy panties. You and your body worked so hard creating your precious new baby, and after giving birth you are going to need to give yourself a little extra care to stay comfortable and happy. Cesarean or vaginal birth moms will both need to look into postpartum underwear to keep things all good down there.
Best Postpartum Underwear – 10 Great Options + Things You Should Know
Why You Need Them
Postpartum underwear is designed to keep this messy and sometimes sore time in your life the easiest it can possibly be. Normal panties will likely not provide the same kind of help or be gentle enough for you post delivery. You will want to find a pair that provides you with support and protection with materials and shapes that won’t irritate stitching. They will likely also provide some type of compression which will help you to move around easier and heal faster. You want to look for a super breathable pair because this is what prevents infection by keeping your vaginal area dry and gives air to wounds that are still healing.
Materials to Look For in Postpartum Underwear
- Mesh- You will likely find this material in disposable pairs of underwear. While it isn’t the strongest, you do not need it to last for very long. It’s extremely breathable which is one of the most important factors.
- Microfiber- Microfiber is a bit stronger of a material than mesh, but is very absorbent.
- Cotton- This is the go-to comfy material for underwear, making it a great choice for postpartum. Your skin won’t be irritated by it and it’s still breathable like the others.
- Spandex- If you are a fan of compression style underwear for postpartum, they will probably be made of a spandex material.
Choosing Your Postpartum Underwear Style
There is really no right or wrong here, it is more about what you feel most comfortable in! These are just the most common options that moms tend to like wearing postpartum.
- Full Briefs
- Low Rise
- C-Section Specific
Best Postpartum Underwear
- Fruit of the Loom Beyond Soft Brief Panties– I think the name pretty much gets you on this one, they are beyond soft and that is probably exactly what you will be looking for. Fruit of the Loom is fairly inexpensive, so they will take care of the job but you can toss them when it’s done.
- Intimate Portal Under the Bump Maternity Bikini Panties– No one said that postpartum panties couldn’t be pretty! While many of postpartum panties are high waisted, these underwear sit right under your bump, because yes you will still have one for a bit, and they come in multiple feminine colors with lace. They will hold a maternity panty just as well as any other option, but stray away from them if you have has a C-section because they won’t protect your scar.
- Women Mesh Holes Breathable Leakproof Period Panties– If you are worried about leaks, these are an option that will give you a little extra protection. They come in an assortment of colors and are made of a combination of spandex, nylon, and cotton.
- Closecret Women Comfort Cotton Stretch Classic Briefs– These comfy black panties will give you the full coverage you need after giving birth. Many moms say they are a perfect fit and really great quality. They are super stretchy which is perfect for the changing body of a new mom.
- Upspring C-Panty High Waist– Your body might not go straight back to normal, but that doesn’t mean your waist can’t have it all together. These high waist spandex blend panties will hold you in, in all the right places. They pull up far over your belly button too. Thus, making them a great option for those recovering from a C-section who need to prevent the band from rubbing against their surgery dressing.
- Giftpocket Women’s Under Bump Maternity Panties– These panties come in various packs with fun colors and designs. More than being just cute, they are one of the few other great options for moms who don’t want to wear anything high-waisted. They criss-cross to fit under your bump without the pressure of a seam. They come in lots of sizes as well because every booty deserves a comfy fit.
- New Beginnings Disposable Pants– You might not want to live with this postpartum phase of life forever, so these disposable pants are the perfect option. Instead of living in your drawer forever, they are meant to be thrown in the trash after 20 years.
- Sloggi Bikini or Full Brief– Having options is always good, right? Sloggi makes a couple different fits of underwear making it easy to find your perfect pair. Plus they’re comfy, soft, and breathable.
- Queen Bee Postpartum High Waist Pelvic Recovery Pants– This is another pair of underwear that will help you hold it all together. Not only will the hold in those (ginormous) maternity pads, but they will help hold together your stomach muscles which will probably be in need of a little help too.
- Always Discreet Incontinence Underwear– When you picture that aisle in your favorite grocery store… or more likely Target… that carries everything you need for your dreaded time of month there is probably one brand that stands out in your imagination. I know for me that brand is Always. They have my trust. Now they have come up with a disposable postpartum underwear option that has a built-in pad and odor protection.
Ok mamas, I hope our breakdown of the best postpartum panties will help you find the right pair for you. There are a lot of great options now available. Feel free to message us with any questions or visit our Facebook Moms group where we have a great group of moms helping each other out. There are a lot of great options now available.
You Might Also Enjoy these posts
Pin for Later – Best Postpartum Underwear – 10 Great Options + Things You Should Know