When I have a long stretch of unstructured time, I just about lose my mind. I love to keep busy and to-do lists are my best friend! While I was excited to maternity leave (and know what a blessing it is to be able to do so!), I couldn’t help but make a list of things I wanted to accomplish along with snuggling my sweet baby. I want to share it with any other new moms in the same boat. Here is my list of 25 activities & things to do on maternity leave.
Try to choose one outing or activity to build your day around. Afterward, you can spend the rest of the day staring at your baby or hiding from your baby and I won’t judge you one bit!
25 Things To Do on Maternity Leave for Rookie Moms
Try Something New!
1. Observe Fearless Fridays (learn what that means here!).
2. Talk about sex with your partner.
3. Go on a recon mission (i.e. scope out what’s it is like to take your baby to your favorite Target or usual grocery store).
4. Take your baby swimming. Scary and fun.
5. Take your babe to the movies. Twice (in case the first time is a failure).
Be romantic on Maternity Leave
6. Go out for just dessert.
7. Celebrate your old selves and be in love.
8. Reconnect over dinner. Have a romantic meal just the two of you.
9. Lube up. It’s the only way to get past 2nd base anymore.
10. Pretend you and your partner are teenagers babysitting instead of housebound parents.
Be selfish during your Leave
11. Track your own mama milestones. Be proud.
12. List 50 things you like to do. Do those things once you finish my list.
13. Learn to rely on daddy. Then schedule a spa day.
14. Interrupt someone’s work day. (as if you’re the first one to do this!)
15. Learn how to take a shower while home alone with your baby. Trust me, this skill will serve you well.
Girly Things to do while on Leave
16. Tweeze, dye, and feel pretty.
17. Book a postpartum massage.
18. Start a Ladies’ Night or Moms’ Night Out. Every month if possible.
19. Find a sexy top or sleepwear to show off your new boobs. Wear it a lot.
20. Get a pedicure.
Creative Things to Do
One of my favorite things to do on maternity leave was being creative. It was so great to get my mind active and out of the mundane activities of the day.
21. Create an easy time capsule.
22. Bust out your sewing machine to make easy baby pants.
23. Design awesome baby outfits with your printer.
24. Make an easy swaddling blanket.
25. Convert a T-shirt into a newborn gown.
Pin for Later!