I am constantly on the lookout for shortcuts in the kitchen. Delicious in two minutes with three ingredients? Now you’re talking. This easiest salmon in the world “recipe” is about 20 minutes from fridge to table; it is simple, hands-off, and delicious. I served it with pride to my picky (foodie) book club and routinely give it to my kids. Four-year old Milo will tell you that salmon is his favorite food.
The fish itself should start out cool or room temperature but NOT FROZEN (thawed from frozen is fine, I’m not snobby that way, just do it overnight in the fridge).
Pretty piece of salmon, about 2 pounds (I like wild Alaskan)
Olive Oil, a few glugs
Any spice rub (Use sea salt and freshly ground pepper if you don’t have any)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add olive oil to coat the bottom of glass baking dish.
- Rub the fish with spice rub or lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Lay the fish on the oil, skin side down.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork
For a toddler, I cut up small pieces. For my big boys, they can tear it up on their own with forks. They like it with soy sauce or teriyaki sauce (and by teriyaki, I mean ketchup or maple syrup! Ick.) I will also add a starch, green vegetable and fruit.
Side dish suggestions:
- Quickie starch: I serve this Israeli couscous or rice.
- Zero-minute green vegetable: frozen peas, still frozen.
- Two-minute green vegetable: spinach barely wilted with a lemon wedge.
- Zero-minute fruit side dish: applesauce.
- Two minute fruit side dish: apple slices.
Related post: Easy ginger Indian salmon
This simple recipe is presented as part of our Makin’ It series in which we share hands-on projects, crafts, kitchen shortcuts and other things that are made. We’re just getting started. This is week three.
Latest posts by Heather Flett (see all)
- Activity #30: Stumble into a family-friendly pub - September 1, 2014
- Sawyer’s third birthday party: Bubbles on a budget - August 28, 2014
- Activity #291: Let your baby ride the family pet - August 22, 2014