We love Halloween for babies! From elaborate sewing projects to last-minute baby costumes and frugal-minded ideas for parents who want to highlight their baby’s mind-blowing Halloween cuteness, we’ve put all our best dress-up ideas on this page. If you’ve got a related photo or story to share, feel free to comment at the bottom. Halloween for babies is our favorite!
Baby’s first Halloween |You’ll wear it again |Costumes for the family | Last minute | Pregnant chicks | Epic and easy DIY
Simplest tiny newborn costumes. Is it baby’s first Halloween? For those who will probably be asleep but are still going to be on display, consider something uber-easy. And comfy! (See 10 ideas for baby’s first Halloween)
Best costume that will actually be worn again: pajamas! Our hands-down favorite are skeleton-themed jammies. This is the Rookie Mom go-to costume: Julian has donned the bones twice, Holden once, Milo once, and Sawyer is pictured below! And then they can be worn all year.
Other “You’ll totally wear that again” costumes for toddlers and kids:
You’ll totally wear that again: Laura Ingalls costume from Molly
You’ll totally wear that again: prom dress becomes princess dress from Carrie
You’ll totally wear that again: cowgirl costume from Dottie
Reusable toddler train engineer costume from me, on BabyCenter.com.
You’ll totally wear that again: cool (little) dude jackets from Caitlin
Baby as a prop to your own costume is convenient if you’ll be wearing or carrying your baby most of the time. We’ve thought of quite a few “themes” that will unify your look with your baby in a sling or carrier.
Best last-minute costumes for infants. Make the baby clothes you’ve got on-hand into a new persona. We’ve got nine ideas for late-breaking baby costumes…
- Embrace the belly and be Buddha, Santa Claus, or a guy with a beer belly (baseball cap, man-style sleeveless undershirt, beer in hand)
- Love the sinner: Pregnant virgin icons such as nun, cheerleader, girl scout, or bride
- Anything round: How to paint your big pregnant belly like a beach ball or basketball
- More belly-painting inspiration!
- Staying home? Paint your belly as a pumpkin like Caley
- Pop culture and other hilarious Halloween costume ideas for pregnant women from pregnantchicken.
Store-bought costumes we like
Best place for store-bought toddler costumes that will be soft, comfy, reasonably priced, and not based on a television character: Carters
Best selection if you or your child wants to be a pop culture character, check out BuyCostumes.com — they even have all the new Star Wars characters!
- Start with a monochromatic outfit from Primary.com and add accessories. They have so many colors, you can find exactly the right shade of Giraffe Tan or Elmo Red to use as a warm base layer. ps Save 25% at primary.com with code AFF25PCT
- Iconic OshKosh B’gosh Denim Overalls paired with collared shirt and red bandana ($17 as of this writing!)
- Use a ribbon + sponges to make a dragon or dinosaur costume out of any outfit.
- Use sticky-backed felt or iron-on printer paper to add details and designs, such as a control panel for R2D2 or a tiny necktie for an old man.
- Make a clown collar and wear it with pjs.
Most impressive DIY costume endeavors by other parents
Still reading? If you’ve got a cute idea to share for Halloween, please send it to moms @ rookiemoms . com and we’ll add it to this guide!