Our own experience with unstructured time and a small baby tells us that having an activity planned or a project for the day is tremendously helpful in passing the time. When your partner gets home from work or you hop on the phone with your sister, instead of talking about length of naps and feeding sessions, you might be able to tell an interesting story about your day.
We hope this is not too bossy, but we will be posting a specific activity each week for you to do. We hope that you’ll do the activity and come back and tell us how it went. If you have your own blog, post your experience there and then share your URL over here so other rookie moms can benefit from your wisdom.
What if I’m doing it wrong?
There are so many aspects of new motherhood that make us questions ourselves, aren’t there? Everything from what’s in your diaper bag to how happy you feel seems like a measure of success. If you make a mistake, please don’t hide out and drown in a shame spiral. Share your story so we can learn from it. If you go to an mom-friendly event and you hate it, we will accept blame so that you can move on.
Without further ado:
- Our first challenge is Activity #226: Pretend you’re in Europe.
- Grab your spy hat and a buddy to (Activity #9) Go on a recon mission.
- Join or start a new mom’s group.
- Visit a fabric store with your sidekick.
- Go to the grocery store for just one thing. You know, for practice!
- Paint your baby’s feet for posterity.
- Take a postnatal yoga class, with your baby.
- Get a pedicure.
- Go to a mom and baby movie, where crying is allowed.
- Plan a mom’s night out for yourself and some friends.
- Visit a friend or spouse at work.
- Enjoy modern art with your sidekick.
- Make a Modern Family photo.
- Start your own breakfast club.
- Leave your neighborhood.
- Walk into nature.
- Become a cruise director.
- Check out the library.
- Invite someone dangerous over for tea.
- Visit a farmers’ market.
- Talk about something besides sleep.
- Play in another kind of nursery. Yep, the one with baby plants!
- Build muscles at bootcamp.
- Be a tourist in your own town.
- Host an ugly baby (clothes) contest.
- Count your steps.
- Take your baby swimming.
- Pack a picnic for a change.
- Refresh your bedroom.
- Find a family-friendly pub.
- Go out for just dessert.
- Patronize bookstore events for babies.
- Get a free 8×10 portrait taken.
- Host a Margarita Mommies group.
- Get some new jeans.
- Send your partner out for a jog.
- Visit the pet store with your older baby.
- Take a sensory tour of the neighborhood.
- Use the slide on the playground, baby style.
- Throw yourself an inside-out party to celebrate your baby’s 40th week on the outside!
- Test-drive some free music and movement classes.
- Take a pumpkin picture.
- Try a half sleepover.
- Wear something unusual.
- Do what YOU want to do.
- Swap til you drop.
- Join a museum, membership has it’s…
- Find some excellent graffiti.
- Run or walk errands.
- Launch Camp Grandma!
- Meet your friends out for errands.
- Celebrate your way
We’ve said it before: sometimes for new moms, it’s nice to just be told what to do. Well, here we are, telling you.