Gone are the days when Alec and I could just go away for a few months with nothing but a pair of backpacks. Traveling with a baby requires more strategy, but this is one of my strengths, so allow me to share a tip:
You do not need to bring it all with you!
Flying with babies is a whole new adventure. And with luggage restrictions? Hold me. After a recent trip to Chicago (in which we did not travel light), I discovered that there are many ways to avoid carrying 17 bags, a stroller, a suitcase full of diapers, a carseat and a sleeping place for the baby.
Here’s how to bring a lot less stuff when you travel with baby:
- Call before you go. If you’re visiting friends or family, can they borrow a bouncy seat and a pack n play for a few days? Does the hotel already provide porta-cribs? Whitney and I bring our own sheets so the bed will smell like home (and a single sheet packs easier than the whole portable crib).
- Shop when you get there. Do yourself a favor and carry on one diaper per hour of the flight and toss a few more in your luggage. Then plan to buy ’em when you get there. On this same trip to Chicago, we only packed about 10 of Holden’s #2 Huggies and purchased the rest upon arrival.
- ShipÂ stuff ahead. Create and send ahead aÂ diapering and feeding supply bundle usingÂ Amazon. Pack enough dipes for the flight and then free up the luggage space for loveys.
- Rent yourÂ baby gear. After you’ve exhausted the free options, google “baby equipment rental” or check out aÂ baby gearÂ renters so you can orderÂ a high chair and a bag of toys to be ready when you reach your destination. Here are a few that might help: Babierge,Â Traveling Baby, andÂ Babies Getaway.
Whether you are traveling with or without your partner, downsizing the luggage is a smart move sinceÂ carrying all that crap AND a baby who needs to get changed or fed as soon as you get off the plane is pretty overwhelming.
Anyone else have tips to share about lightening your load when traveling with a baby?
- Best Gifts for a One Year Old – Top picks for 2023 - October 10, 2023
- 6 Fool-Proof Strategies for When Your Toddler Won’t Stay in Bed - August 13, 2023
- Kids Backpacks; My Very Strong Opinions on Them - July 15, 2023