I accepted the great stuffing challenge of 2011 because I love me some stuffing. I spent hours this weekend reading recipe websites and perfecting my stuffing recipe to use on the big day this Thursday.
I do love stuffing, but who has time for hours in the kitchen in preparation for hours in the kitchen? With three little boys underfoot (two running and one crying to be held), not me.
So, I took some shortcuts. And tried a little riffing off the original Pepperidge FarmÂ® bag recipe. This is what I came up with in twenty minutes including chopping:
- Handful of sliced mushrooms, rough-chopped
- TPSP of EVOO + TBSP of butter for sauteeing
- All the other ingredients on the package of the Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned stuffing bag
STEPS to the quickie stuffing:
- Heat butter and oil in saucepan over medium-high heat
- Toss in mushrooms until not-so raw
- Follow the other shortcut directions on the package of the Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned stuffing bag.
I made my practice stuffing this weekend so I could make a ton more on Thursday (in proportions to guarantee leftovers) without feeling too weird about it. The small recipe was just enough for four servings, which amounted to giving the boys a taste, Alec having a normal amount, and me downing an obscene three bowls.
If I have a sous-chef in the kitchen on Thursday, I will make this same stuffing AND cornbread stuffing with bacon and apples. I don’t mind being a little experimental as long as my favorite side dish is already at the table.
Pepperidge Farm is compensating me for my time and ingredients to tackle the Stuffing Recipe Challenge.