I was invited to attend the Chicago Auto Show this year by a very friendly car company. While I considered the invitation strongly (I would have been able to visit my posse of Chicago besties) I had to decline the trip because of the impact to my family.
If I were going to write about vehicles, which is not exactly my beat, I’d have to keep it real and share my fantasy features that probably don’t exist in any auto show. Since I could write that list without getting on an airplane and having a slumber party with Crystal, I did it.
Fantasy vehicle features for nerdy moms like me:
- Retractable limousine-style window dividing myself from my kidsÂ – for so many reasons!
- A special blocking technology that would lock up my phone during the drive so I can’t ever text during stoplights. I would still be able to use the phone as a navigation system.
- Completely lice-resistant fabric.
- Bluetooth in the backseat, so when my mom or husband call and I answer on speakerphone, the kids’ greetings can be heard clearly by the caller.
- On the other hand, I would like to selectively not allow the speakerphone to broadcast to children. (Put up that limo window?)
- Built-in booster seats
- Tiny tray tables for kids to color and do homework
- Robot that carries in my heavy loads from the trunk and puts itself away.
- Built-in mini fridge.
- Self-vacuum crumbs and sand, or maybe it’s a magic filtering floor. Or a venting system. Or that robot that is at my beck and call. Execution is someone else’s problem.
If I had gone to the car show, I might only be disappointed to learn that the new lines of cars targeted at families don’t have these features. Or maybe I would have been wowed by a whole list of functions I could never have dreamed up myself.
What’s your fantasy new car feature?