Ugh. We are not THERE yet. We are so close. In fact, 12 months ago, I thought we were super duper ticking-time-bomb close because my not-yet-two-year old was so interested in pooping in the potty. Fast forward a year and he’s still quite interested in #2Â because he gets to trade $h1# for candy. But peeing is boring and takes him away from playing, so we haven’t advanced to undies from diapers.
When I wanted to do a tie-dye party, I decided to dye his plain gerber training pants and make them more fun and exciting. Because why not?
I prefer these super absorbent undies because they keep more liquid in (and less on my floor) and also help the child feel wet when he’s peed. Win/win. But they’re boring as heck. So, if your child wants character pull-ups, these are lame in comparison.
- a tie-dye kit from Tulip (available at Michael’s or amazon) — I got this mega-pack with all the colors for future projects; only mix what you’ll use each time!
- a pack of gerber white undiesÂ AKA training pants (from Target or amazon)
- a party including sangria — I had friends and fun around for moral support, this is optional
Following the instructions on Wendolonia for tie dye, I started off by trying to make brilliant swirly patterns and designs. After my second sangria, I just let my kid spray the squirt-bottles all over and tried to steer clear of getting any colors on my skin and clothes.
AndÂ our results!
Though I felt silly doing this — hence the sangria — there are two reasons why I think it is a good enough idea to share and replicate:
- high-quality training undies are now personalized and fun
- tie-dye hides stains (‘nuf said)
It’s too soon to say whether these are the magic missing piece to get my son to pee in the potty, but he was asking about them this morning, and self-motivation is the true key ingredient.
Good luck and for the love of your furniture, don’t do this in the house, I already told you how I feel about food coloring and toddlers!
- Best Gifts for a One Year Old – Top picks for 2023 - October 10, 2023
- 6 Fool-Proof Strategies for When Your Toddler Won’t Stay in Bed - August 13, 2023
- Kids Backpacks; My Very Strong Opinions on Them - July 15, 2023