Consider this list your to-do list, women. In order to take care of everyone else, you have to take care of yourself (if not first, at least be in your own top 5)!
Please do this stuff. If not for yourself, do it for your family. I offer you 40 things inspired by Whitney’s desire to do 40 self-care tasks leading up to her 40th birthday.
- OB/GYN appointment: 6 week post-baby, routine prenatal, or annual PAP
- Skin doctor for “mole patrol”
- Massage especially if you’re achey
- Eye doctor
- Mammogram if you’re over 40 (self-exam if you’re not) — Whitney and I are going this week!
- Therapist, Psychologist, or Psychiatrist
…and the stuff that’s still self-care, but less life or death
- Sign up for an exercise class you will love, you’re worth the money
- Use naptime for an on-demand exercise class or workout jar
- Get your stress under control
- Keep a notebook by the bed so if anxiety is keeping you awake, you can put it somewhere
- Buy a sleep mask
- Fix your posture at the computer/work
- Practice yoga
- Do kegels
- Keep a gratitude journal
- Drink more water
- Eat the good stuff
- Put on some good smelling lotion
- Take a walk
- Stand up straight
- Get some bras that fit you
- Donate of a pair of uncomfortable shoes
- Clean out a drawer that bugs you
- Clean out your purse, stock it with what you need
- Wear a hat in the sun
- Wear a helmet on your bike
- Toss out some underwear you hate
- Learn to say “No”
- Call a friend
- Buy yourself flowers
- Eat/enjoy something you love
- Get a great haircut and color
- Tame your eyebrows
- Get a pedicure
Please consider everything on this list. Pick up the phone and make some appointments during naptime. TODAY. Cross out the item when you’ve attended the appointment (or if it doesn’t apply to your body’s needs).
What did I miss? What other important self-care tasks should all moms be doing?