How it works to be a butterfly rancher:
- You purchase a kit which includes a mesh butterfly house, live caterpillars and their food.*
- Observe for about a week and chrysalises will form on the roof of the container.
- Move the liner of the container’s lid into the butterfly habitat and wait.
- The butterflies will emerge from their cocoons after about one week.
- Let them free in your garden.
Julian opened the container to let the butterflies free and they sat on his arm for a bit. He concluded with confidence, “They love me!”
*Note that if you buy your kit from a retail store or Amazon, it doesn’t come with the caterpillars, but rather a coupon that you mail in. Buy direct from the company Insect Lore to get it all in one bundle.
** No one paid me, gave me anything free, or asked me to write about this. I just really really liked it and think you might like it, too. In fact, I think if your child is too young to participate in this, it might qualify as a Father’s Day gift for a science geek-type.