You may have once had nightmares about the things of scary movies or forgetting a deadline at work, but parenting brings a whole new set of nightmares with stairs being right at the top of the list. Yes, you heard us right stairs are absolutely the scariest thing parents of new walkers can think of. Finding a great baby gate is the best way to find peace of mind. Of course, even if you are in the midst of teaching your little one how to get up and down the stairs it is going to take a while to completely trust their ability.
Baby Proofing – The Best Baby Gates for Stairs
Most Essential Features to Consider
Hardware vs. Pressure Mounted
Some baby gates are hardware mounted and others will simply use pressure to stay put. Hardware mounted gates will come with a kit that allows them to be drilled in or permanently installed. There are pros and cons to both options. It’s really just a matter of figuring out which installation method is better for your household. PROS/CONS
Convenience for Grown Ups
Obviously, the point of installing a baby gate is to keep your baby out of harm’s way by containing them, but at the same time, you will want the rest of your family to be able to move freely through the house. This is where a door comes in handy. You will want to find a baby gate with a walk through a door that is easy for you to unlatch, but impossible for the baby to figure out. Definitely look for doors that can be opened with one hand! They are a lifesaver if you’re carrying a little one or laundry. Also look for gates that have no threshold to trip over. This is extremely important when searching for the best baby gates for stairs.
Width and Angles
Before you even begin your search, measure the width of your stair openings and take a look at how your baby gate will need to be angled. Some staircases have a bit of a funky opening and are going to require a more flexible baby gate. It’s just better to know what you are getting into before the search begins.
The Long-Term Effect
You want a sturdy baby gate to keep your little one safe, but you also might want something that can be easily moved when it’s not needed. A baby gate also isn’t going to be something you need forever, even though the terrible twos might make you feel like it!! Consider these things when choosing what kind of install you will choose. If you love your stairs, you surely aren’t going to want to drill right into your bannister. Consider getting a stairs kit, which will keep your gate super secure from being knocked over but leave your perfect stairs as they are:
Best Baby Gates for the Top of Stairs
- Kidco Safeway Safety Baby Gate– We love that this option is specifically designed for the top of your stairs meaning it has a pin stopping from swinging out over the stairs and quick release hardware.
- Evenflo Top of Stair Plus Gate– This is a really affordable option made specifically for the top of your stairs. It’s made of wood and stands 32” tall. Just make sure you don’t have a pet that likes to chew things! It does have a hinge that allows you to choose the direction the door swings open. This gate can be opened and shut with one hand.
- Summer Infant Anywhere Decorative Walk Thru Gate– This gates sleek and modern design means it will fit right in with the rest of your home. It has a dual locking system making it very safe for the stairs because it can’t be easily pushed open. Just make sure you use the hardware mounting kit if placing this gate on the stairs.
- Cardinal Auto Lock Gate- The stairs are a high traffic area, meaning everyone besides your toddler needs to easily get through the gate. The Cardinal Auto Lock Gate allows for this with an easy open door. It is also very easy to install and can quickly be set up.
Best Baby Gates for the Bottom of Stairs
- Retract-A-Gate– Whoever came up with this gate was a genius! It is quite different from any of the other baby gates out there. Rather than wood or metal, it is made of fabric which can be easily retracted or stretched open. It an awesome option if your stairs have an awkward opening because it can be set at any angle.
- Summer Infant Deluxe Stairway Simple to Secure Wood Gate– The antique oak baby gate will look beautiful in your home, making it easy to sacrifice the bottom of your stair bannister for the sake of your kiddos safety.Â It has one hand walk through the door and no bar at the bottom. No bar at the bottom means there is nothing to trip over.
- Dreambaby Swing Closed Extra Tall Gate– This gate, like the name implies, is extra tall making it a great choice for any family with pets that can jump over the ordinary baby gates. It has an auto close double locking system but also has the option of a Smart Stay-Open feature. This is great for when you want to be able to move freely through your stairs.
Best Baby Gates for Wide Stairs
- North States Supergate Baby Gate– This gate is extremely affordable for the extra wide length it offers. The thing that makes this gate really special is that even though it’s extra wide, you can use the easy hinge mounting to make it a swing gate.
- Cardinal Gates Stairway Angle Baby Gate– This wide gate is specially made for the top of staircases and can be installed at an angle. This means it can work in just about any space you need it to. There are extra extensions sold separately which can be added on for even more length.
Carlson Wide Gate with Pet Door- We have talked about baby gates which make it easy for other family members to pass through, but this baby gate was made with your furry family members in mind. It has a little pet door allowing cats or small dogs to pass through. The gate is, of course, extra wide which is why it made this list. There is a 6” extension kit for maximum length.
Best Custom Baby Gates for Stairs!
I have always wanted to have a nice looking baby gate, but never came around to getting one. These are some of the cutest and chicest baby gates around.
How incredible is this baby gate. Talk about a dream. These are made custom size for any openings. Check Current Prices Here!
If you are looking for the ever so popular Barn Door Baby Gate. Check out this company on Etsy. They have a wide variety of styles and colors. Check Current Styles Here!
There are some other solutions like custom fabric, but I never have felt too comfortable with fabric preventing my child from taking a tumble down the stairs. Overall, these are some of the best options out there.