This post is from our Rookie Moms Squad Jessica Watson whose son Parker has been making costumes including this DIY Jack Skellington costume for years. You can follow his amazing DIY costumes on his facebook page Parker Pretends. Check out how he does these incredible costumes.
In our house, we love Christmas and Halloween so there’s nothing better than a character who combines both holidays. For this reason, making a Jack Skellington costume was a goal of Parker’s from the beginning. He’s made variations of the costume over the years but I think he’s perfected it this time! Here’s how to create your very own DIY Jack Skellington Costume using things you probably have at home.
Amazing Kid’s DIY Jack Skellington Costume + Video Tutorial
What you will need for your DIY Jack Skellington Costume:
- Black pants
- Black suit coat or jacket
- White shirt (collared works best)
- Black construction paper
- Hot glue gun or craft glue
- Face paint (optional)
- White duct tape
- White crayon
How to make Jack Skellington
1. Measure duct tape to fit in vertical stripes on jacket. Cut strips in half vertically to make thinner strips of tape. Place strips about two inches apart on jacket.
2. Trace the outline of Jack Skellington’s tie on a piece of cardboard. We usually just look at an image of him online. His tie has a messy look to it so you will be able to draw it whether you’re an artist or not! Cut out the cardboard tracing.
3. Use the cardboard tracing to cutout the same outline in black construction paper. If you have 11 x 14 paper you should be able to cover the cardboard with one piece. We used two 8 Â½ x 11 sheets. Parker likes to use this better so he can wrap the black around the edges.
4. Glue the black construction paper bowtie over top of the cardboard cutout. Add in details you’d like to the bowtie using a white crayon.
5. Measure a piece of elastic to fit comfortably around your neck then glue each end to the center of the back of the bowtie. Let dry completely before trying it around your neck.
6. Put on your white shirt, striped jacket and black pants the fasten your bowtie. You’re ready to be Jack Skellington!
7. If you’d like a video tutorial on how to do the makeup you can watch my full tutorial here:
DIY Jack Skellington Tutorial Video Par7 1
Part 2 (includes make up) https://youtu.be/_Bqg0rKNqn0
You Might Also Enjoy: