We all want to make smart choices about buying gifts this holiday season– toys that will last, clothes that won’t be rejected by picky preschoolers, and nothing that makes so much noise that you’ll go crazy.
I was thrilled to see that my friend Angie at BabyCheapskate.com has been maintaining her series Toys that get played with. She’s got a list for each age range, so click over to the one for whom you are shopping and benefit from the wisdom of others.
Here’s what gets played with in my own house:
- Rainbow Loom bracelet-making kit
- Stuffed animals and doll accessories like cribs, high chairs, and doll potties which get used with the stuffed animals
- Colored pencils
- Jump ropes
- Mancala game
- Baseball, football, and Pokemon card collections, including rearranging them in their binders and plastic sleeves
- NFL board game
- Mini over-the-door basketball hoop (are you sensing a theme?)
- Webkinz (Already have too many plush animals? Here’s how we store them.)
- Clipboards, notebooks, and stopwatches for tracking things
- iPad games – for his birthday his sister gave him $5 worth of gems, our first virtual gift, on Dragonvale and one of the most valued to date!
- Mad Libs – great for first grade and up
- The Best 20 Stay at Home Mom Jobs in 2023! - August 9, 2023
- Best Baby Tracking App of 2023 [The Feeding & Diaper Trackers You Need] - August 2, 2023
- 50+ Super Fun Things to do with Toddlers [Easy & Fun Activities] - March 5, 2023