The Bibs pacifier has been pretty well known amongst many of my mom friends. So, As a busy mama of three, pacifiers have been so useful item in my household we had to test it out. Pacifiers helped my babies learn to self-soothe has been a godsend. Also known as a paci, binky, (or dink, uh-oh, woggy in my house), these tiny helpers have allowed me quiet showers and breaks from comfort nursing. They have provided my children with a comfort item that they can depend on.
Any downsides (teeth misalignment, ear infections, etc.) have been minimal. And pacifier use can reduce the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) by up to 50%. Huge relief!
For me, the pros outweigh the cons. Let’s be honest, we are in survival mode for the first few months as new mamas. It’s the little things (literally) that really help.
If you’re here because you’ve decided to give the pacifier a GO, you’ll find no shortage of brands, shapes and sizes to choose from (and TONS of conflicting reviews); making it a daunting task to decide on one.
You may end up with a menagerie of unused pacifiers in a drawer. We don’t want you to do that! We’re here to help you save time and money, by sharing the pros and cons of one of the most popular brands, BIBS, below.
What we LOVE about Bibs Pacifier
- Longevity: Developed in Denmark over 40 years ago, BIBS is a family owned company committed to using only the best materials. They’ve been around for decades, which is a testament to their popularity among new and veteran parents.
- Widespread use: BIBS are consistently used by parents around the globe.
- Materials: BIBS pacifiers are made from 100% natural rubber which is meant to mimic mama’s skin, making the transition from breast to pacifier an easy one. They are 100% free from BPA, PVC and phthalates.
- Design: The simplistic design of BIBS pacifiers are a nod to the past with a calm, classic style. With over 30 colors to choose from, parents aren’t lacking for choice.
- Sizing: The BIBS pacifier comes in 3 distinct sizes: (1) 0-6 months; (2) 6-18 months; and (3) 18-36 months, making it easy to size up as your baby grows.
- Doubles as an accessory: Mamas love to match babies’ BIBS pacifiers to their outfits, making it not only a comfort item, but chic and stylish accessory. No bow, no problem!
- Useful Air Holes: The air holes on the BIBS will leave you resting assured that your baby can breathe easily. These air holes also help to lessen skin irritation.
- Baby approved: Many parents report that the BIBS is the ONLY pacifier their baby would take after trying several others.
- Ring on the outside: Makes it easy for tiny hands to grab and put back into their mouths.
Negatives to consider:
- Size: Even though there are various sizes, some parents report that even the smallest size is too big for a newborn baby. Parents also report that the sizing is inconsistent from one order to the next, suggesting a possible manufacturing issue.
- Smell: The 100% rubber smell can be off-putting to babies, causing them to refuse this pacifier altogether.
- Water accumulation: Parents report that water can accumulate in the nipple, which creates the perfect environment for mold and bacteria growth. Since it’s recommended for them to be sanitized regularly in boiling water, this could create problems right from the start.
- Nipples may rip: Some parents of the BIBS have reported that the nipple rips easily. This, of course, creates a dangerous choking hazard.
- No cover: Contrary to other popular pacifier brands, the BIBS pacifiers do not come with a covering to protect the nipple on the go. An easy solution to this would be a pacifier holder such as this one from Accmor. Making it easy to throw it in the diaper bag and go!
- Price: Compared to other popular brands, BIBS are priced on the higher side. On Amazon, you can get a 2-pack for $14.99 and a 4-pack for $27.99.
Pacifier Safety First
Keep in mind these safety tips for pacifier use:
- You always want to check that the nipple is intact before offering your baby the pacifier–inspect it often to make sure there are no rips or tears.
- Always make sure there is a clear airway for baby’s nostrils.
- Never attach a pacifier to something that could wrap around the baby’s wrist or neck.
- Make sure that the pacifier itself is not a choking hazard.
But don’t take our word for it…
With an average of 5 stars on amazon (out of 80 reviews), and 5 stars on target.com (out of 37 reviews), it’s safe to say that the majority of parents are fans of the BIBS.
Straight from the mouths of parents:
“Super easy to clean and are also cute. Besides these being the only paci my baby will take; I like how the match his outfits.” -Michael G.
“I love the design and the colors of BIBS. We bought four and I usually match the color of the pacifier with my son’s outfit, and it always looks super cute! I wish it came with a top for the nipple so that I don’t always have to keep rinsing it.” -Nadia
“We got three different types of pacifiers for baby and he favors this one the most! Ordered more and will be using/recommending for the foreseeable future” -Floyd
“We spent so much money buying different types of pacifiers and finally after 2 months we bought these. Our little one took to it right away and we knew we found the one! I love the colors, so this is definitely a win!” -Aster918
Overall, the BIBS pacifier is a trusted brand that parents all over the world rave about. With minimal negatives, it’s a great starting point for your pacifier journey. Here’s hoping your baby will love it as much as mine did!
More Bibs Pacifier Reviews
Of course, don’t just take our word for it. Bibs Pacifier has over 1200 reviews and 4.5 stars on Amazon. Here are some of their reviews.
“Ok I admit it; I bought these pacifiers for my newborn initially because they are just so cute right?! But honestly, they are a godsend. The large bulb part of the nipple is the best part of this paci. It keeps it from falling out of my one month old sons mouth and having to put his pacifier back in when he loses it and cries.C. Capone – Amazon
This seriously helps a new mom in the middle of the night! During my sons first week of life these pacifier nipple parts were a little large for his mouth. He acted as if he was gagging on them. However he was 6 lbs at birth, but after he was a couple weeks old he’s loved them ever since. I don’t recommend these for very small or preemie baby’s, but you can’t find a cuter design or a better made pacifier.“
I was hesitant to spend $14 on Pacis, but I’m glad I did. My baby is obsessed w these pacis! I tell all of my mom friends about them. Not only are they super stylish, they are also so light weight so they never fall out of my baby’s mouth. We use dr brown bottles, so the nipple is pretty similar to those but rounder on the top.Amazon User
“I originally wasn’t going to give my son any type of pacifier. However, he ended up in the NICU, where he was given a pacifier. The problem with the one he was given he only took it if you held it the entire time.
I bought other ones including from the NUK, Natursutten and the PatPat by RyanandRose and these are the only ones that he takes without me having to hold in place. For the price to get two quality pacifiers that my son loves I’ll definitely be buying more!6 people found this helpful“A Adam
Just to clarify on previous reviews about inconsistent nipple sizes, etc… the nipple sizes are the same! They all start small and then expand with use. These are made from 100% natural rubber and (as mentioned in the description) are soften and will stretch over time!
Pin for Later: BIBS Pacifier Review – Is this the Best Pacifier?