A six month old baby might be the cutest thing in the world. They are smiling, cooing and they are ready to start to play! Even though your child may still seem like an infant in many ways, they are going through an important developmental period in their brains and their bodies. Your baby is going to begin interacting with you and the world around them in new and exciting ways. They’ll go through teething, begin to recognize faces, start responding to emotions, and reach physical milestones like sitting up and rolling over and soon walking. To improve your baby’s development, we have a list of the best gifts and toys for 6 month old.
Baby Development – The 10 Best Toys for 6 Month Old Baby
Why is playing with toys helping my baby develop?
You might be asking yourself, does my 6 month old really need toys? When you spend time helping your baby explore the mechanics of moving, stacking, building, and sorting, you’re really helping them develop fine motor skills, cognitive thinking abilities, and social and emotional intelligence. Playing is not only fun, it’s your baby’s primary way of learning, growing, and reaching those important developmental milestones. So let’s get playing—here’s our list of the top seven toys that are safe and fun for your six month old!
Best Toys for 6 Month Old Baby
1. Stacking Cups
- These sturdy stacking cups are perfect for any type of play! Featuring bright, playful colors and six nesting sizes—stacking and building with these cups helps your baby develop cognitive thinking and fine motor skills. Each cup features the outline of an animal and a pattern of small holes, perfect for sifting sand outside or playing with water drops in the bath! – Check Current Prices Here!
2. Activity Gym
- An activity gym is a must-have for your 6 month old! There are so many options to choose from like this organic wooden gym, or this colorful fabric treetop friends design by Skip Hop. Whatever you pick, your baby will enjoy playing with the dangling toys while they lay on their back. Not only this but later they can sit up to interact more thoroughly with the gym!
- At six months old, your baby is likely starting to teething. You have probably heard about the Baby Sophie Giraffe Teether. There is a reason why. Sophie’s soft texture and numerous chewable parts (ears, horns, legs), makes her perfect for soothing baby’s sore gums during teething. Sophie is made of 100% natural rubber from the Hevea tree, so there are no chemicals entering your baby’s mouth. Check Current Prices Here!
BirdRock BabyMocassins are quite popular and for good reason. These shoes are soft and comfortable for baby and oh so durable. Inf act, they have a lifetime guarantee. The elastic band at the ankle makes for easy on and off for mom and dad, but strong enough to stay on so they aren’t kicked or tugged off by baby. They have tons of adorable styles, check them all out here!
5. Oball Rattle
- The Oball Rattle makes a wonderful developmental companion for your child! Two soft, bendy, and teeth-able oballs, connected by a colorful rattle, engage your little one’s hands, mouth, ears, and eyes. We love this mini unit because it is easy for small hands to hold and play with. The original oball is also an excellent choice for your six month old!
6. Llama Lovey
- Loveys are some of our favorite picks for infants. A stuffed animal and a security blanket in one, these soft little toys are perfect for baby snuggles! There are a variety of wonderful options to choose from, but our personal favorite picks are the llama knot lovey, available on Amazon.
- If you want something more personal, this made-to-order cream baby llama lovey available on Etsy is absolutely adorable. Made of super soft fleece it is perfect for your baby to snuggle up with. This is personally my favorite of our best toys for 6 month old baby because it is so sweet and your little one will love it.
7. Llama Llama’s Little Library
- It’s never to early to start reading with your baby! Available now as a boxed board book set, Llama Llama’s Little Library by Anna Dewdney are just right for early morning snuggles, afternoon play, and goodnight stories. They’re perfect for reading out loud while your baby snuggles with their llama lovey! Check Current Prices Here!
- The ever-classic rainbow hoop stacking toy is an excellent choice for your six month old. Your baby will start developing fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination as they stack and unstack the loops. In fact later you can introduce color and size training! Our favorite is the wooden rainbow stacker by Melissa and Doug. Made with durable, child-safe materials and featuring expert craftsmanship—this product will last your little one through years of play! Check Current Prices Here!
- The Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker will be a favorite for moms of our best toys for 6 month old babies. The reason is it starts out as a soothing infant rocker or stationary seat with two bat-at animal friends overhead.
- Then, as your baby grows, you can remove the toy bar and convert the seat to a toddler rocker! It has a deep, cozy seat, reclining seat back, calming vibrations, and a colorful (and machine-washable) seat pad. For development: The fun animal friends encourage your baby to reach and bat, strengthening those baby muscles! Check Current Prices Here!
- This baby wheel made my little one laugh over and over. The wheel sticks nicely to a table or high chair so your little one can whack away at the wheel without it coming off. The spinning wheel encourages baby to reach, tug, and bat, strengthening hand-eye coordination. The spinning center pieces provide a higher level of visual tracking and strengthen fine motor skills. Check Current Prices Here!
- If you have a 6 month-year-old, they are probably on their way to crawling more than walking. However, in no matter of time, they will be pulling themselves up and begin walking. While your little one is sitting, they can play with the early learning center. It has 5 piano keys that play music and encourage creativity. Once standing the wheels can work on carpeted floors so that it is easy enough for your child to push around. Check Current Prices Here!
Overall, when you are choosing your toys, think about finding toys that improve your babies motor schools as this is a key part of the development of a 6 month old. Also, look for toys that are chemical free as most toys at this age end up in your babies mouth.
You Might Also Enjoy: