You are going to love this adorable + simple Valentines Day Craft for Toddlers. Not only is it simple and cute but it is also healthier than traditional Valentines Day treats. You can do this Valentines Day craft with your toddler just for fun or you can also use the Valentines Treats for their preschool class or to pass out to friends and family too! For some more ideas on keeping your toddler busy check out our 52 activities to do with toddlers or if you are looking for something super simple check out our post on “Potching” here.
Adorable Valentines Day Craft for
My kids have always enjoyed crafting so when holidays like Valentines Day come around I try to incorporate some kind of fun and easy craft to do with them. This Valentines Day Liv and I decided to make treats for her preschool class. Her school has a no candy policy so we tried to think of something unique to bring in that the kids would still get really excited about and we turned to Liv’s favorite yogurt, Stonyfield Organic. They have a new flavor called Choco-Mooo that Liv just loves and Stonyfield Organic Kids Yogurts just went through a sugar reduction across their entire line of yogurts so I knew the school would be happy about our choice too!
Liv and I have been working on her fine motor skills so we decided to do a sewing craft for Valentines Day. I took sheets of red and pink felt paper and Liv helped me trace hearts on to them. I did the cutting and also punched holes in the hearts along the border. Then Liv used a plastic kids sewing needle to thread cooking twine through the cut-out holes in the hearts. She needed instructions and vocal cues to go up and down through the hearts but she was really patient and enjoyed the craft. Of course, she enjoyed sneaking a yogurt and taking a break to eat it too 😉
What You Need for this Cute Valentines Day Craft for Toddlers:
- Sheets of Colored Felt Paper (we chose red, hot pink, and pastel pink)
- Heart Shape to Use for Tracing (grab one here)
- Hole Puncher
- Plastic Kids Sewing Needle
- Cute Colored Cooking Twine (Ribbon or Thread would work too)
- Stonyfield Organic Yogurt (or your choice of treats)
- Glue Dots
- Patience is also a good idea 😉
To Make Your Valentines Day Craft with Your Toddler:
- Step One- Use your heart template to trace heart shapes onto your felt paper. Let your child help you.
- Step Two- Depending on the age and skill level of your child either you cut out the heart shapes (like I did) or allow your child to cut them out.
- Step Three- Punch holes along the border of the felt heart cut-outs.
- Step Four- Lace your child’s plastic sewing needle
- Step Five- Allow your child to thread the needle through the holes in the felt heart cut outs.
- Step Six- Use glue dots to secure the felt hearts to the yogurt pouches (or whatever treat you chose). *If using yogurt pouches to bring to school I suggest you delay this step and first freeze your pouches. Then place the glue dots and hearts onto the pouches right before you bring them to school. This way they will still be cold and ready to eat by the time the kids receive them.
You might also like these valentine’s day articles:
Are you planning to make a Valentines Day Craft with your toddler?
Pin it for Later-