I work in an office with lots of women. Invariably, one of them buys a very fancy chocolate bar for the office to share in the afternoon. Each person breaks off a square or a row of chocolate and somehow it falls to me (the nursing mom?) to finish it off.
I’m not sure how I’ll squeeze my way into new hot mama jeans at this rate, but it sure is a nice tradition. It got me thinking of my favorite snacks and desserts:
- Hot drinking chocolate from Sketch — now, tragically, in the midst of a remodel
- Any kind of mocha latte cookie or our own chocolate chip oatmeal — a near-nightly event
- Any molten chocolate souffle thingie — they used to have an amazing one at Scharffen Berger
- Oreos and cool whip — every afternoon in high school
- Creme brulee — cracking glaze with vanilla bean flecks and no bizarre fruit infusion
- Ben and Jerry’s coffee coffee buzz buzz buzz or vanilla heath bar crunch
- Chocolate won tons — AKA “pillows of heaven” from the now defunct Tin Pan in SF
- 10 sugar cookies — almost every school day in lieu of lunch I’m ashamed to admit (sorry mom!)
- Chocolate cupcakes with white or pink butter cream frosting from Teacake or Bette’s
- My wedding cake — which we polished off in less than a week by eating at every meal
- Junior mints — I’m not all fancy
- Strawberry shortcake with real whipped cream — Heidi’s recipe
- Hot apple pie with vanilla ice cream — still seeking the best in Berkeley
See more silly and serious lists at thursdaythirteen.com or make your own.