Rookie Moms Top 10 New Baby Products
- (Amazing) Miracle swaddle blanket – I cannot believe how dorky the name is, but I would buy two if doing it all over again. Don’t waste your time with imitations or anything with velcro. Trust me.
- Hands-free Pumping Bra – ok, maybe you don’t want this on your Registry, but the other infomercial-product I heartily recommend is the bizarro-looking hands free pumping bra. Don’t think about it, just get your mom or best friend to buy you one.
- Extra laundry basket – a new little person in the house generates more than his share of laundry. Buy one or two extras.
- Front carrier – Some sort of hands-free carrier is a must have. Baby Bjorn was the easiest to use for us, but you might try some different slings too.
- Bottle warmer – this little thing is completely optional, but we loved ours and used it every day for quick, easy bottle heating (dream feed, oh yeah!).
- White noise machine – We like the Homedics Sound Spa. Julian sleeps with it every day and night and we take it everywhere we expect him to sleep. Don’t worry, when your baby is born, you’ll become a sleep nut, too.
- Pack ‘n Play – can have many lives as a bassinet, play-yard, sleeping quarters for visiting babies…
- New mom pants – black (slimming) athletic pants that would fit a 5 month pregnant woman to wear every day for the first two months. Bonus: the fold-down top can cover your middle during public nursing.
- Rearview mirror for car – Something like this will allow you to check out your rear facing baby while you drive. It’s more dangerous than eating or talking on a cell phone, but you won’t be able to help yourself.
- Changing table/dresser combo – Of course people have made do without such a thing for thousands of years, but I really like ours.
And of course, our book, The Rookie Mom’s Handbook: 250 Activities to Do with (and Without!) Your Baby