My household is unusual in that my husband does the clothes shopping. He buys himself clothes and shoes and buys the kids clothes and shoes. Since having become a father, there is no time in his life for driving, parking, and dressing rooms, so he does it all online. Now I’ve left you with the burning question: does he do my clothes shopping for me? No. I buy my own clothes. But, a few times a year, I get surprised by my babies’ daddy with some things he’s bought for me unsolicited, from sneakers to maternity clothes. He has good taste, and is much better than I am at pulling the trigger. I fill up a (virtual) shopping cart and then close the browser, feeling uncertain that I had picked the right things.
“Where,” my mom and mother-in-law always ask, “do you find these things?” So I decided to make a list of my faves for babies and kids.
- We love the Small Paul brand. Find it at LittleBoyChic.com, BlackWagon.com, and OlieBollen.com. Sometimes at Amazon.com.
- Lucky Brand at their own online store always has sale items for babies and kids. I’m guessing our readers will think this is still too expensive, but allow me to remind you, this list is for Grandma.
- Paulina Quintana is also at the boutiques mentioned above. She does the greatest colors for hipster babies.
- Urban Baby Runway finds tiny brands that make baby stuff with rocker and rockabilly themes. If you are the type to dress your baby in black (I am), visit their store.
- Cool Mom Picks finds unique baby stuff and showcases a new pick each day. Just visit this site daily, and you’ll know about all these small manufacturers.
- Little Uni makes supercute personalized tshirts. Not at all cheesy. I LOVE the ones we got for Scarlett and Julian and swear that this is my new go-to baby gift.
- Glug, pictured above, is a local Bay Area brand of simple graphic tees. Find them at some of the same online boutiques mentioned above, plus egiggle.com.
- Soy Baby uses the softest cotton and great color combos. Their site has reasonable prices, too!
- MiniBoden.com has the cutest prints and color combos, superfun tights for girls, and adorable surfer style clothes for boys.
- Kate Quinn is another for your organic clothing wish list. Stylish and simple. Great newborn stuff like the infant sacques shown below.
In the end, however, one of a kind, handmade stuff is my favorite. Look at Etsy and MixtGoods to find jewelry, embellished shirts, and baby clothes. I love these hand-sewn felt baby booties and this toddler hairclip (how exciting that my baby girl has hair!) and these awesome appliqué tops and these delicious sundresses.