Organize LUNAFEST in your community

by Heather Flett on October 4, 2009

in Green,Mommy,We Love It (For Mom),Worklife

Do you have a little one in regular childcare just long enough that you feel like you could be working but not quite long enough to take on a “real job”? We have a brilliant idea for you: Spearhead a film festival in your neighborhood that benefits both your self esteem and your community. Bam.

Lunafest movies

I attended the premiere of the 9th Annual LUNAFEST (a festival of short films by, for, and about women) this week. I met up with two friends at the fest and we all left feeling inspired by the collection of mini movies. I recommend all of them. Especially since they’re shorts. If you do get bored, the movie will probably end in less than 5 minutes.

I’d be hard pressed to pick a favorite film, but this one is hilarious for sure; here’s a brief excerpt from Kinda Sutra:

To learn more about planning a LUNAFEST event in your community, be sure to check out the event planning guide from the Luna team. They estimate about three to six months of planning time and provide you with tips templates, and tools to get the job done.

LUNAFEST events take place between October and April of each year in hundreds of venues throughout the U.S. and Canada. Each event has its own flavor – from gala affairs and grand events, to intimate gatherings and grassroots efforts – but all LUNAFEST events are powerful in building funds, awareness and community.

The benefits of hosting a LUNAFEST film festival in your community are many, but here are three good ones:

  1. Remember you’re not Just A Mom, you’re a Woman (and a totally interesting, competent one).
  2. Bring something fun and awesome to your hometown in a few hours a week on your own schedule. Just enough to justify some childcare here and there like we know you deserve.
  3. 100 percent of proceeds from LUNAFEST are donated to charity: 15 percent (minimum $250) is donated to Breast Cancer Fund and the remaining 85 percent go to community nonprofit organizations.

Convinced to plan your own film festival? Apply to host your own LUNAFEST and get the ball rolling.

Convinced to find one in your area plan a girls’ night out ? That’s cool too.

Related Rookie Mom activities:
> Screen the documentary Fresh for your pals
> Volunteer with your baby

The following two tabs change content below.
RookieMoms co-founder & mom to 3 boys in Berkeley, CA. Bossy big sister and project manager turned blogger helping moms enjoy their first years of motherhood. Find me on my other site on 510families.com or hiding in my minivan eating dark chocolate.

Previous post:

Next post: