First things first: Guilty as charged.
In December, we followed a well-controlled budget for buying gifts for family and friends. I didn’t deviate (much) and we emerged from that month with a credit card bill that was similar to other months. We felt good about ourselves.
By contrast, in January we’ve gone a little nuts! Following the holidays, we had a some gift money to spend on ourselves and we spent that and then some. Our “seed money” from relatives grew into several major purchases.
While we get a tiny little high five for getting a good deal on a used HDTV via Craig’s List, the TV spawned several related and unrelated splurges:
- HD Tivo and rabbit ear antenna (because our direcTV doesn’t work with this new thing)
- New camera (because “wah wah,” I cry, “that TV is just for you, I don’t care what we watch”)
- Fancy shampoo and conditioner (probably allowable expense, but getting the frou frou stuff feels like something I should cut out)
- New Joe’s Jeans (one or two pairs of seriously expensive jeans depending on how you count it, cuz new clothes are totally outlawed)
I have been doing some crazy shopping-feasting before my shopping-famine. I have that anxious feeling I sometimes get before a big trip where I want to make sure I pack everything I could possibly need for the week even though I know they sell necessities like baby food and diapers in Ohio. It seems like my need to Be Prepared for my shopping freeze is starting to defeat the purpose.
Latest posts by Heather Flett (see all)
- The gift I want to give every new mom: FOOD! - October 21, 2014
- Observing the lasts of parenting is trickier than the firsts - October 15, 2014
- Happy 9 Year Blogiversary! - October 12, 2014