I don’t know about you, but I found it quite unsettling to realize that becoming a mom put me into a category that advertisers deem top priority for selling cleaning products. Really? Now I am supposed to be more interested in cleaning than my husband is?
And yes, I myself have a professional marketing background and realize that women make most of the household decisions when it comes to purchases — and the larger the household, the more like she’s making those purchases. So when your household grows from a couple to a threesome or a foursome, you’re probably buying more of that stuff. More laundry means more laundry detergent, right?
In my specific relationship, however, I am not the clean one. I don’t have any problem watching tv while dirty dishes sit in the sink. That would be my husband.
So when Mrs. Meyers Clean Day asked if we would write a post on their seasonal theme, “Squeaky clean, not stinky clean,” I was like “Uh, is that fun for moms?”
So instead, I present Eight Things I’d Rather Be Doing than Cleaning:
- Hanging out with friends – When my husband and I are able to coordinate a double date with friends, it’s like the best thing ever. It takes me back to the feeling of being younger when we went out whenever we liked — which was often. When we see our friends with all the kids in tow, it’s also fun, but a different type of fun. I prefer the put-on-earrings-and-lipstick-and-be-able-to-make-eye-contact-with-friends type of evening.
- Eating dark chocolate – cliche, I know. But my day is not complete without a little piece of chocolate after the kids are in bed.
- Reading craft porn – I am addicted to the craft blogs in my reader. I am a huge fan of Wendolonia (my real life friend), Prudent Baby, and How About Orange.
- Taking a walk – When I was a kid, I thought this habit the moms around me had of “taking a walk” was weird and totally lame. As soon as I had myself a baby in a stroller, walking became my new hobby. Try it. You’ll like it.
- Editing my pictures - Although I’m finding it hard to enjoy this as I feel like I’m always doing it in a hurry, I do enjoy going through the pictures from a vacation or weekend and selecting the best ones, cropping them, and looking at an edited album of the best ones.
- Picking my kids up from school – Except for when Scarlett plays the “I am a crabby three-year old” game, they are so excited to see me. I still feel like I’m playing grown-up when I walk into a classroom and find my own child.
- Making something for someone else – Another hobby that has lost a lot of my attention. I am fully aware that I waste time looking at other people’s projects (See #4) and don’t leave time to actually make my own. But when I do, I enjoy it.
- Decluttering – Yes, there is an element of cleaning that I find satisfying, but it doesn’t involve spraying or scrubbing. It’s just the freedom that comes from looking at an object and being able to say “I don’t need this in my home anymore.” It’s an endless pursuit, isn’t it?
What would you rather be doing than cleaning?
photo: BrittneyBush on flickr
This post was sponsored by Mrs. Meyers who wants all the rookie moms out there to know that you can now find her whole line of delicious-smelling cleaning products at WalMart. We’ve also posted a coupon in the bottom right corner of our site for Mrs. Meyers fans!