For my birthday last week, Holden wrote me a terrific note. Do you see that? I’m ossum.
Whitney challenged me to eek a guest post out of my son. She suggested I interview him and co-write “6 things to do before you’re six.” Great idea, in theory. I took a short-cut and made my own list first. ASSuming he’d totally agree with me.
Here are six things (I think) Holden thinks you should do before you turn six:
- Learn how to ride a big kid bike. Do it often.
- Swim, like under water.
- Tie your own shoes (we’re working on it).
- Play Angry Birds on your dad’s iPhone (in fact, he wants a playable Angry Birds cake for his birthday. Who does he think I am? Whitney?)
- Watch Star Wars (Episode 4 please, to be followed by Empire Strikes Back in either 59 days or 59 years, we’re not sure).
- Go to a sweet theme park like Legoland or Disney World.
So, then I asked him, “Hey kid, what are the things you think someone should do before they turn six?” And his list was more of a party planning checklist. Since he’s a new reader, he stood over my shoulder and wouldn’t let me change a word on his list.
What you need to do before you turn six (or how plan an awesome sixth birthday party so your parents don’t screw it up too much):
- Make sure you have stuff on your (amazon) wishlist you want
- Make sure you are on the right wishlist
- Ask for one of your favorite things like Legos
- Make sure we say nice things when people give us presents
- Show that you can turn into first grade by working hard in kindergarten and you have to prove it
- You have to make the cake
- If you need a pinata then you should get candies to put in it
- Make sure you have those birthday hats ready
- Make sure the candles are ready
- Get the matches
So, if you or your kid are ready to turn six, we have a heap of sage advice for you!
Latest posts by Heather Flett (see all)
- The Control Freak’s Guide to packing your diaper bag - November 18, 2014
- 5 strategies to put HAPPY in your holidays - November 12, 2014
- Activity #40: Throw an Inside-Outside party - November 10, 2014