I get nervous preaching about Stuff Every Mom Should Know because it subtly implies that I know everything that moms need to know. If anything, I frequently tap into my community of moms for their wisdom. Some days, I feel like I am crowd-surfing along on the outstretched arms of my support team.
Here are ten things I learned from other parents that may or may not be in my new book:
- Never make a happy baby happier (our pediatrician).
- A hands-free baby carrier is essential (Whitney).
- Never wake a sleeping baby (Weissbluth).
- Breastfeeding hurts (Whitney).
- Say “yes” more often; be prepared to defend your “no” (Devra and Aviva).
- It’s not failure, it’s research (Rachel and Andy).
- The only way out is through (Meggan).
- Bananas stain (Molly).
- Kids are just as happy with the box as they are with the toy inside (my mom and dad).
- Feed the meter (Karp).
Of course, as soon as I finish this list, I want to add more to it. I’m still learning on the job and trying to remember that no matter how messy my house or lame the birthday parties I throw, my kid just wants ME. In the meantime, big boy is still — and always will be — on the frontier of everything I know firsthand about parenting.
So, what have you learned from other moms that I need to know?